100 Bookstagram Post Prompts To Engage Your Followers
Bookish people tend to find other likeminded bookish people. There are a few places on the internet where whole communities of story-loving booknerds can be found, one of which is Instagram. Instagram is one of the most popular image-sharing social media platforms in the world, with an estimated 1 billion active users monthly worldwide. The bookish community there is affectionately referred to as Bookstagram (cute, right?).
If you have a Bookstagram account, then you’ve probably wondered how to grow your following and reach other bookish users.
Personally, I use Bookstagram to connect with potential readers for the Young Adult High Fantasy novel, The Sapeiro Chronicles: A Forgotten Past. But I also use it to meet other authors in my genre, and have had the incredible opportunity to chat with readers and writers world-wide.
I’m not going to lie and try to pretend to understand the intricacies of how the platform’s analytics work to push content to those who are likely to enjoy it. However, one thing is certain: Instagram–and by extension, most social media platforms, value and reward engagement. The more people who engage with your content, either through liking or commenting on your posts, the more likely that your content will continue to be pushed and promoted, furthering your reach.
As content creators, it’s incredibly important to maintain an active presence on social media. However, this can be daunting and time consuming. Not to mention that sometimes, your creativity well runs dry.
What I’ve found to be helpful in driving engagement is to ask people an interesting question of the day (QOTD) to try and get your followers to interact with your post.
So here’s a list of topics/questions to ask your followers and maintain engagement!
Let’s start with the basics:
- What’s your favorite book?
- Who is your favorite author?
- What’s your favorite genre?
- What’s your favorite series?
- What’s your favorite standalone?
- What’s your favorite duology?
- What’s your favorite trilogy?
- What’s the last book you added to your TBR?
- What’s the last book your judged by its cover?
- What’s your most anticipated book for 2022?
- What are you currently reading?
- What was your last five-star read?
- Do you ever re-read books?
- Without including spoilers, what book had the biggest twist you never saw coming?
- Do you prefer hardcovers or paperbacks?
- What book made you fall in love with reading?
- What’s the last book you DNF?
- Do you multitask while reading?
- How do you organize your bookshelf?
- Do you have a reading buddy?
- Describe your favorite book badly!
Get to know your audience:
- What’s a book you wish you could read for the first time again?
- What’s a book you couldn’t put down?
- What’s the last book that made you cry?
- What’s your favorite book trope?
- What’s your favorite classic story?
- What’s your favorite myth?
- What’s your favorite retelling?
- Would you buy a book you already owned because it had a cover you preferred?
- What’s the prettiest book you own?
- What book have you read the most?
- If you could read only one genre for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- What’s the quickest it’s taken you to read a book?
- How many books do you pack when going on vacation?
- What book did Bookstagram make you buy?
- What is a book that didn’t live up to the hype?
- What’s your favorite spin-off?
- Best translated books you’ve ever read?
- What book broke you?
- What book gave you secondhand cringe?
- Do you read indie books?
- Which book did you wish had a sequel?
- What sequel do you think was better than the original?
- Do you keep the dust jacket on when you read?
- Which series do you think is going to be the next mainstream series?
- What’s an underrated book that you think everyone should read?
- What’s a popular book that doesn’t deserve the hype?
- What’s your Hogwarts house?
- You inherit a character’s power! What is it?
- What’s a book that you’re scared to read?
- Have you ever reviewed a book before?
- Has a book ever made you mad before?
- What’s the longest series you’ve read?
- What’s the longest book you’re read?
- What do you think makes a good story?
- What’s a book pet peeve that you have?
- What book did you find underwhelming?
This or that questions:
- Do you prefer drinking tea or coffee?
- Do you listen to music when you read?
- Do you prefer reading inside, or outside?
- Do you prefer fiction or non-fiction?
- Do you prefer standalones or series?
- Do you prefer first-person POV or third-person?
- Do you prefer clean romance or some spice?
- Which trope do you prefer: Enemies to lovers or slow burn?
- Simple covers, or elaborate ones?
- Do you prefer reading in the morning, or at night?
- Pirates or sirens?
- Assassins or warriors?
- Would you rather read from the hero’s POV, or the villain’s?
- Physical books or eBooks?
- Disney or Pixar?
- Fiction or non-fiction?
- If you could pick a companion animal, what would it be?
- Who is your favorite book couple?
- Who is your favorite book girlfriend/boyfriend?
- Who is your least favorite villain?
- Who is your favorite villain?
- What’s your favorite monster?
- If you could become part of any fictional world, which one would it be?
- What’s your favorite season?
- What could you talk about for an hour without any hesitation or preparation?
- What are you most grateful for?
- What’s a quote that you live by?
- What are your reading goals?
- What are your weekend plans?
- Do you read multiple books at once?
- How do you keep track of your reading?
- Do you annotate books?
- What’s your favorite snack?
- What did you want to be when you grew up?
- Are you a morning person, or a night owl?
- What’s your creative outlet?
- If you could study anything in the world, what would it be?
- Where do you go for book recommendations?
- Do you have a book blog?
- How many languages can you read in?
- Are you subscribed to any bookish boxes?
- What’s the most underwhelming talent you have?
- What’s an underrated book you wished got more attention?
- How many books do you buy a month?
- Monthly round-up! How many books did you read this month?
- What’s your reading goal for this month?
- What’s your reading goal this year?
Here are a few examples of engaging posts I’ve made on my Instagram page: